After watching this video with Sanjay Gupta cleaning his groceries I created a cleaning station to wipe down packages and groceries before they enter our home.
It occurred to me that we need a cleaning station for our mind as well.
My therapist recommended that I had control of the “inputs”. I can choose to watch the news, to refresh Twitter over and looking at all of the bad news one scroll at a time.
Or I can choose to focus on what the positive:
- How I’m connecting more to my children.
- How I am taking pleasure in the simple actions of every day life: cleaning, cooking, tidying.
- How I reconnected with my favorite cousin Tonya in West Virginia.
- How many great friends have reached out and supported me and my family.
- How we sang all sang You’ll Be Back at the top of our lungs and laughed hysterically.
There are things that we can and cannot control. The one thing we can control is our mind and that is our entire reality.